VPN is a true blessing for those who are mostly involved in online activities such as shopping, banking, etc.
And that’s the life of most people after Covid-19.
The entire concept of anonymity and encrypted traffic is really calming but sometimes you need to show your real location or identity. For instance, if you are ordering food and you need it to your location you can’t do it if you are connected to a VPN.
Therefore, for certain reasons, you might need VPN with split tunneling feature.
- To reduce the encryption load so that you can enhance your device’s performance and internet speed.
- To unblock content as well as to utilize the apps such as food ordering to your real location.
- To maintain link with their local devices too so that they can mange to access connected LAN devices (maybe a printer, smart home devices or anything else).
- If your VPN has bandwidth cap, then you can safe your bandwidth by limiting VPN usage to the apps /devices which need encryption. (the VPNs recommended in this article offer unlimited bandwidth)
- You can make your office work secure by connecting to a VPN while easily carrying out your personal activities.
Best VPNs with Split Tunneling – Secure And Popular VPNs
If we are here to talk about the VPNs with split tunneling feature, it doesn’t mean that we will recommend you a VPN based on just the availability of this feature.
Presence of split tunneling is not the guarantee to utmost security and supreme performance. It’s is true that this feature eliminates hassles for most of the people but to be the best VPN, there are many important things to focus on.
Therefore, before making up the list of best VPNs with split tunneling, we checked few things;
- VPN’s performance on phone and desktop. This performance rating was based on security and speed.
- VPN torrenting support. VPN is working for torrenting and is not leaking torrent IP.
- Is it able to unblock Netflix, Hulu, iPlayer, Amazon Prime. These are the streaming channels for which most of the people want a VPN.
- Server Network. Greater server network provides a user many options in case a server is slow or is unable to work for desired action.
- What would be greater if you get a affordable VPN with high reputation and security.
Feature available for – Windows, Android, Android TV.
- Strict no log policy
- 5400+ servers in 59 countries (variety of options for streaming and unblocking, less crowding on servers)
- 6 simultaneous devices (connect 6 devices with one account)
- Split tunneling (set preferred apps for encryption so that you can make speed better)
- Onion over VPN (double security)
- CyberSec (to block malware, ads, and botnet control)
- 24/7 live chat support
- 30-days money back guarantee
NordVPN is the most popular VPN among the netizens and is never behind when it comes to newly introduced features. Same is the case with split tunneling.
It allows you to filter the VPN using apps and lets you to select the apps which remain connected to internet directly. You can only select apps and not the devices or websites.
NordVPN also allows inverse split tunneling for its Windows users. Using this type, you can specify the apps which will go through the VPN encryption process.
Feature available for – Windows, Android, Routers and Mac (except MacOS 11)
- Fastest VPN
- Strict no log policy
- 3000+ server locations in 94 countries
- 24/7 live chat support
- Easy to use apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, routers, game consoles, and smart TVs.
- Spilt Tunneling
- 30 days money back guarantee
ExpressVPN is also a reputable VPN with the strongest encryption and millions of users around the world. However, their split tunneling feature is only for the Windows and Mac users.
With ExpressVPN split tunneling you can select certain apps to go through the VPN encryption or you can specify the apps which will be excluded from VPN encryption process.
This VPN also allows you to specify devices which will use VPN encryption app for routers. For each device connected to ExpressVPN’s app for routers, you can select among router VPN, no VPN and MediaStreamer. The router’s split tunneling screen shows every device which is connected or had been connected recently and displays toggle switch in front of each device.
SurfShark VPN – Whitelister
Feature available for – Android and Windows users
- 3200+ servers in 65 countries
- Clean web (block malicious links and ads)
- Whitelister (Split tunneling)
- Camouflage Mode (your internet traffic looks regular and your ISP cannot detect that you are using a VPN while keeping you anonymous)
- Connect unlimited device (with one account, you can connect as many devices as you want)
- 30-day money back guarantee (so, if you are confused, you can test it and get back your money if not satisfied)
Surfshark VPN has the most flexible and adjustable split tunneling feature. Because, with SurfShark’s whitelister you can adjust apps as well as websites to exclude from VPN encryption path. However, only Windows and Android users can use this feature, but they claim that they will soon allow this feature on other devices too.
Feature available for – Windows and Android
- 7000+ servers in more than 89 countries
- 45 days money back guarantee (with 3-year plan and one year plan)
- 14 days money back guarantee (with one-month plan)
- 24 hours free trial
- No-log policy
- 24/7 live chat support
- Split tunneling
- Torrent friendly
CyberGhost VPN split tunneling allows you to exclude or include websites or apps from the VPN encryption path. That means you have both the options of reverse split tunneling and the conventional one. Also, you are privileged to select websites in addition to the apps.
A noteworthy point of CyberGhost split tunneling is that you can select different server for each app that you specify to go through VPN encryption.
Private Internet Access VPN – App Exclusion
Feature available for – Windows, MacOS, Linux
- 35640+ servers on 77 countries
- 10 simultaneous connections
- P2P support (torrenting)
- Blocks ads, malware, and trackers
- Unlimited bandwidth
- No Log policy
Do Free VPNs Offer Split Tunneling?
This is an advance feature offered by VPNs and there are only few VPNs with split tunneling. Many paid VPNs still don’t have this feature and when we talk about free VPNs, they already have shady reputation for their encryption. Therefore, even if a free VPN offer split tunneling, it won’t be worth using.
As mentioned above, split tunneling allows some of the data to go unencrypted. If this feature is not implemented professionality, a data snooper could easily exploit the unencrypted path to access your sensitive and encrypted data.
Many free VPNs are just a source of marketing to convince users so that they upgrade to their premium version. And in this case, they only be giving access to very restricted features and those features could never include an advance feature like split tunneling.
We also discourage the use of free VPN because they are not a charity. When not the money, they have alternatives to earn profit. Most of the VPN providers sell your data to third parties and place intrusive ads. In worse cases, a free VPN does not encrypt data at all. Therefore, it is best to choose an affordable VPN (under $3/per month) which is trusted by millions.